Sunday, May 3, 2009

In the Time of the Butterflies...

"In the Time of the Butterflies", I watched this movie a few days back on TV and ever since then I am so much inclined, and with each passing day getting more and more determined, to read the novel which the film was based upon. I really liked the movie and I am dead sure I'll like the novel even more. [I am just waiting to get done with my current novel first...]

Written by Julia Alvarez, the story revolves around Mirabal sisters, Patria, Minerva, Dedé, and María Teresa who stood against and fought for the freedom of their nation from Rafael Trujillo, dictator of Dominican Republic. The sisters chose butterfly as the symbol of their rebellion which signifies independence - the very thing they were fighting for. Thus, they became known as "the Butterflies" or "Las Mariposas".

[After being labelled as a spoilsport bcuz I disclosed the climax, I am removing the paragraph which had originaaly been here... Please contact me personally to get a copy of that paragraph :-)]

Disclaimer: The novel is based on real incidents but is a work of fiction and narrates the lives of the Mirabal sisters from the personal accounts of Dedé on what happened during that time.

2 comments:

  1. wtf...u shd have given spoiler alert warning before this post...movie khatam kar di yaar [:(]

    ReplyDelete
  2. aur tujhe kya laga mein movie review de raha hoon ? ha ha..

    lakin phir bhi sorry bhai.. but i think the movie is still worth seeing... It's Salma Hayek playing Minerva... :-)

    aur ab tune keh hi diya hain to mein apne baki bhule bhatke readers ke liye climax ka paragraph uda deta hoon...

    ReplyDelete